Having the best pregnancy pillow is a God-send if you find yourself pregnant and uncomfortable while sleeping. If you have aching joints, neck or back pain after a nights sleep, it’s very likely that you need to get a body pillow. Maternity pillows and cushions are especially made for expecting moms to make them more comfortable when lying down, nursing their baby or sleeping. If you’re anything like me when you’re pregnant, you’ve probably tried to use a whole bunch of normal pillows tucked under your back, legs and tummy to try and get comfortable. With a full body pillow you don’t have to do that anymore, and the best maternity pillows available are body length and usually do this by having you lie alongside them, holding or cuddling the cushion while providing support for your tummy, back and legs too. There are quite a few different pregnancy, nursing and body pillows that come in various shapes and sizes so it’s important to buy a maternity pillow that suits you.
Our top picks for best pregnancy pillow 2017
Snoogle Maternity pillow (from Leachco)
The Snoogle Total body pillow is contoured to provide support for the back and belly at the same time. With it’s full body u-shape, it is one of the best body pillows, simply reverse the ends of the body pillow for a “double decker” head support. Great support for both your back and tummy, it elevates and aligns the hips to help ensure a natural position, which relieves stress on joints. The slightly curved ends wrap around your head and under your knees to make you feel super comfortable and snug.
My husband sometimes gets a little bit jealous of my snoogle, and I use it even after I gave birth because it’s just that comfortable![wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS”]
- Includes a cover case (removable for washing)
- Caters for moms of many different sizes
- Total body relief from joint pain
- Helps relieve carpal tunnel, sciatica, gastric reflux, nasal congestion and heartburn.
- Provides extra warmth
- Takes up quite a bit of space
- Some customers reported the cover being a little ‘scratchy’
Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow, Ivory
1 used from $35.99
- Best selling body pillow on Amazon
- Snoogle takes the place of multiple pillows to support hips, back, neck, and tummy
- Patented design was developed by a Registered Nurse and Mom
- Enjoy cuddle comfort and support without the extra body heat
- Snoogle Original has a sham-style removable cover that is machine washable
The Leach Back ’N Belly maternity pillow is super comfortable, and as of this writing the number one best seller.
Includes a pillowcase (can be taken off and washed)
Supports your entire back and stomach at the same time
You don’t need to adjust the pillow during the night, you can just turn from side to side
Relieves your joints by lifting your hips
Great for problems like carpal tunnel syndrome, gastric reflux, congestion, sciatica and fibromyalgia
PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow
Proclaimed to be the “worlds most comfortable” pregnancy cushion, the Pharmedoc Total Body pillow is the perfect body pillow for nursing your baby, maternity and during pregnancy. It comes with an extra support pillow for added comfort when needed, and the pillow has a zipper that allows you to wash the cover separately. With it’s C-shape design this body pillow relieves pressure on your back, neck and shoulders because its supports both your upper and lower body including your legs. This means you get a better nights sleep all round, which moms nursing and pregnant moms will need most![wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS”]
- 100% Cotton cover
- Extra Support Cushion Pillow (with zipper for washing the cover).
- All over body support (head, neck,shoulder,back, tummy and legs)
- Great quality
- Can sometimes be a little tricky to get the cover off
PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow. Nursing, Maternity, Pregnancy and Support Cushion Pillow with Zipper. Excellent Support for Hips, Back, Neck and Tummy. Premium Foam Material.
- DELUXE PREGNANCY PILLOW - Best Pillow for Maternity - Therapeutic Pillow Relieves Joint Pain
- DEEP SLEEP EVERY NIGHT- Eliminate Stress, Neck Strain or Bad Sleep Patterns & Sleep Comfortably
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Any Issues and We Will Refund You & Send a New Maternity Pillow
- #1 RATED NURSING PILLOWS - When It Comes to Health, Baby, And Personal Care
- FULL BODY SUPPORT PILLOW with C-Shape Design - Great for Pregnancy Pains During and After Pregnancy
Remedy Complete Comfort Shredded Memory Foam Body Pillow
This a long flat maternity cushion is more simple but effective at relieving stress and tension from your back and legs, neck and shoulders during pregnancy. We find it also takes up arguably less space than many of the other larger maternity pillows, and has a removable cover making it easy to clean. The cover itself of contains a 1cm thick memory foam for extra comfort and shredded memory foam inside that.
Definitely one of the best firm pillows we’ve used. Initially when you get it, the pillow comes compressed in a smaller container so you’ll need to give it a few hours to expand to it’s full size. Because the pillow contains a layer of memory foam in the cover, there’s also an initial memory foam smell but this goes away after a day or so. The pillow is fairly thick and quite full, and the contents are packed fairly tight so it retains it’s shape well and theres no lumpiness. Lying with the cushion between your legs does a great job to relive the pressure on your lower back and body, and give you that extra comfort you need.
[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”PROS”]
- Very comfortable
- Memory foam outer layer
- Easy to clean removable cover
- Well priced
[/wpsm_pros][/wpsm_column][wpsm_column size=”one-half” position=”last”][wpsm_cons title=”CAN BE IMPROVED”]
- Needs a few hours after you get it for it to expand to it’s full size
- Some customers reported a slight smell from the memory foam.
But this disappears within a day or two
Remedy Complete Comfort Shredded Memory Foam Body Pillow
- Can Alleviate Aches and Pains, Conforms to Your Body, Perfect for Snuggling up with in Bed or on the Couch
- Great for Expecting Mothers, Removable Cover for Easy Cleaning, Filling: 1 cm Memory Foam Sheet and Shredded Memory Foam
- Filling Material: 100% Polyurethane Foam, Cover: 100% Polyester Double Jacquard Fabric, Dimensions: L: 50 Inch, W: 14.5 Inch, H: 5.5 Inch
- Care Instructions: Cover: Machine Wash Separately in Cold Water with Mild Detergent, Gentle Cycle, Do Not Use Bleach, Tumble Dry Low, Do Not Iron, Do Not Dry Clean
- Polyurethane Foam: Spot Clean Only with Mild Soap, Rinse, Gently Squeeze Out Water, Allow to Completely Air Dry Away From Direct Sunlight and Heat
Why buy a pregnancy pillow?
Pregnancy can be a difficult time, especially as an expectant mom gets closer to the birth date of their child. You’re often bloated and uncomfortable because of the extra strain put on your body by the weight of your ever increasing belly. This puts enormous strain on your body, especially your back, neck, shoulders and legs and makes sleeping very uncomfortable as you toss and turn through the night to shift your body weight into a position to relieve tension.
Maternity and body pillows are made to help take that extra pressure while sleeping during pregnancy off your body, and alleviate the pain.
When selecting a pregnancy cushion it’s important to look for one that:
- Is made from quality materials with proper stuffing
- Is firm and will hold your weight (it needs to keep your tummy off the mattress/floor)
- Preferably has a washable cover (for easy cleaning)
- Supports both you tummy and legs
- U-shaped, often better for since they support your entire body
On one of your very first prenatal visits to your doctor, they might have given you a list of all the food that aren't safe to have while you were pregnant.Now that your baby is born, you can...
We love the way this bag is styled to look so classic, like something I'd pick out and accessorize with a stunning dress and not just when I'm looking for a breast pump bag for work.Sarah Wells...